Christmas is almost here and the impending doom of 2012 is right around the corner. So in an act of defiant denial, I now present my hopes and wishes for the new year of table top RP gaming.
- Acquire and Play Shadowrun. Shadowrun is one of those games I never played. We recently had an email from a listener on the podcast, and he detailed much of the good stuff about Shadowrun. So next year, I want to buy and try Shadowrun. I almost bought it while we were recording the show, but I remembered that I’m not supposed to buy stuff for myself between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Game Every Week. Right now it’s all I can do to game about twice a month, but I really wish it was an every week affair. Preferably two different games, alternating every other week. This might be a pipe dream, but maybe not …
- Run an Online Game for Listeners. One of the podcast contributors, Tappy, runs a Mongoose Traveller game using the Google+ Hangout feature. He talked about how well this works. While I prefer face-to-face, I’m planning on running a game online, and since it’s online, I don’t have to limit it to people I already game with.
- Play in a Call of Cthulhu Game With a Really Good Keeper. I haven’t played Call of Cthulhu since the late 1980s. Back then, it was a lame attempt at best. I’d really like to play a game with a keeper who really gets the horror genre and players who really get the investigative nature of the game.
- Figure Out a Way to Record Games. We’ve had people ask us to record our games many times. I’ve only taken the time to do it once. It was a Savage Worlds Ghostbusters game. We played outside. I brought out my “portable” recording rig and set up 4 omni condensers over the table. The sound quality wasn’t terrible, but I’m certainly not satisfied with it.
(if you’d like to hear it, here’s the audio file. fair warning — it’s about 7 hours long and completely unedited — several interruptions, side conversations, etc.)
I’ll keep racking my brain for ways to do this.
- Run Another Savage Worlds Mini Campaign. I ran a SW fantasy campaign that was a sort of pick-up game while my main campaign was on hiatus. It was fun. Currently, I only run SW at conventions (it is one of the best game for cons). I’d like to run it again. Maybe a pulp game or sci fi. Or pulp sci fi…
- Finish My Book on Gamemastering. It’s in its second revision and it just keeps getting bigger.
- Release the Opening Songs. I have four or five songs and are damn near ready to be released. It would probably take about 4 hours of studio time to complete. It might happen before year end.